2008 AGM Minutes

Minutes from the 2008 Annual General Meeting, held in Cascade Lock, Oregon on July 16, 2008

  • Vice President Jeff Nelson brought the meeting to order at 17:34
  • Nelson delivered the President’s report
    • Looking forward to a discussion on worlds venues
    • Remember to reach out and recruit on the grassroots level
  • Secretary / Treasurer Macy Nelson delivered the Secretary / Treasurer report
    • Pay your dues (Howard Hamlin was first)
    • Roughly $10K in bank
    • Need to pay the international class assessment ($1.5K)
    • Brief discussion was held, supporting continued funding of NAs containers (not Worlds). Support bumped to $2K from $1K
  • Nelson delivered the Vice President’s report
    • Attendance: still 30-40 boats at major regattas
    • No NA builder is a major problem and threat to the class
    • One possible option is to move the Waterat molds (owned by Hamlin) to another builder. Hamlin will discuss with Larry Tuttle
    • Another option is to aggressively buy foreign boats at 2009 Worlds in SF
    • Another option is to import a container of Rondars
    • Tuttle needs an assistant with experience to help him build boats
    • Maybe ask Tuttle for his thoughts on the matter?
    • Far East / Fremantle boats: Appear to be a viable option, though boats will come with a basic rig setup
    • Get unused boats out of garages
  • Michael Renda delivered the Information Officer’s report
    • Need to upgrade content management system
    • Possibly developing a boat registry
    • Keep posting!
    • Membership posted online was well received
    • Idea to post copies of measurement certificates online for easier access for all
    • International website was noted as needing work. Lake to take over from DuPont soon
  • Presidential Election
    • VP Nelson nominates Andrew (Drew) Buttner
    • Buttner commented that he needs a new Region I coordinator
    • Buttner elected without contest
  • Doug Hagan delivered the 2009 Worlds Report
    • Container sponsorship is great
    • Expected to be breezy
    • PCCs will serve as a test event
    • Huge amount of sponsorship
  • JB Turney delivered the 2010 NAs Report
    • Lots of local interest – good for fleet building
    • Possible dates: June, third weekend
    • Chicago Yacht Club is hosting
    • Breeze not incredibly reliable, even for the Windy City
    • Could be a major catalyst for local growth
    • Approved without contest
  • American Section amendment discussion
    • Discussion tabled, to be handled by a website vote
  • 2011 / 2013 Worlds Bid Discussion
    • M. Nelson delivered a few ideas: American YC, Miami in March, Hyannis / NE, Kingston
    • Doug McKeige presented on behalf of American YC
      • October would be best month, only month possible
      • Club is very supportive and would be a good host
      • Needs full Amer. Section support though
    • M. Martin: 2011 not going back to US, 2012 is in Europe, and 2013 maybe US again
    • Miami: McKeige discussed, said it could be done, but no 505 sailors there
    • Canada: Kingston in August would be nice. YC has discussed doing it again. Need to talk to Jeff Boyd.
    • Buzzards Bay: Would be great, just lacks 505 sailor to head it up
    • US section really needs to bring a proposal to Palermo, even to have it shot down.
    • Best option decided was Kingston, to be sailed in harbor
  • New Business
    • Paul Von Grey on Measurement
      • Need to organize a meeting of measurers to discuss / clarify how to measure
      • Pegasus: building new boats, all barely within rules
      • PVG will bring forward idea at Palermo Worlds for an annual measurer meeting, maybe as part of Worlds
    • Macy Nelson: 2 year proposal on containers for NAs, involving $2K for 1 container.
    • Aaron Ross: Perpetual trophies. Currently lack a well-organized open nomination outside of NAs. Class needs to do a better job of getting nominations. Also discussed was a better section on the website.